Monday 21 February 2011

Body Confidence Test


Channel 4 have recently set up an online Body Confidence Test. I took part in the test and found some of the questions asked to be very surprising, to which many were focused towars the media. Such questions were "I've felt pressure from TV or magazines to have a perfect body" and "I've felt pressure from TV or magazines to change my appearance". Other questions included: "I think my appearance would help me get a job", "I wish I looked like someone else " and "I feel ashamed of how I look".

21,387 women and 2499 men have completed the Channel 4 Online Body Confidence Test. The results are as follows:

- 70.2% of women and 41.5% of men said they have felt pressure from magazines and television to have a perfect body

- 29.7% of women and 27.7% of men said that they have felt pressure from friends to look attractive.

- 23.8% of women and only 15.7% of men said that they have often felt pressure from familyto change their appearance.

- Women felt that increasing diversity in body shapes and physical appearances displayed in the media was the best way to promote a healthy body image.

- 22.8% of men agreed with this, with an almost equal amount (22.7%) saying that increasing education about body image in schools was the best way to promote a healthy body image.

... Would you consider these results to be shocking?

No comments:

Post a Comment